Tuesday 30 December 2014

Impress Guests With the Good Fortune Cocktail

The following post was originally featured on Supergolden Bakes and written by Lucy Parissi, who is part of POPSUGAR Select Food.It has been such a long time since I blogged a cocktail recipe! What is WRONG with me? I will tell you what. Someone (who shall remain nameless but let's just say we have been married for a long time) put a big shelf unit in front of all the spirits, making it practically impossible to retrieve any of the bottles without having cans, pots, and pans raining down. I mean blocking the ALCOHOL. It's all kinds of wrong. The shelves had to move in order to make space for the Christmas tree, liberating the "home bar" (a cardboard box) in the process. We have been camping out in the living room for over three months while the kitchen renovation progresses; mostly everything is either in the way (the Magimix is on the floor) or completely inaccessible. I long for the day when I have a proper kitchen again!

I have been jotting down ideas for festive cocktails for some time, so hopefully I get them all out of my system in time for the holidays. This pretty little number was inspired by the Negroni – a classic cocktail which uses equal amounts gin, Campari and red vermouth. I used dry vermouth and bourbon here together with a little pomegranate and orange juice to make a very drinkable cocktail that's easy to serve at a party – make a pitcher of the mix adding ice just before serving. And if you don't like bourbon (or don't have any), replace with gin and use grapefruit in place of the orange juice. You see? I have thought of everything.

Pomegranate juice is easily available these days (my son's favorite "red juice") and although you don't have to add the pomegranate seeds, they are very pretty and the inspiration for the name, The Good Fortune. You see, pomegranate is considered a symbol of fertility, prosperity, and regeneration, and it is traditional in Greece to smash one in the entrance of your home every New Year to usher good fortune. I remember doing that as a child – I may have to revive the tradition to bless the new kitchen but I will certainly wrap it in something first. You see the background used in these photos? That is my new kitchen flooring. It's marble. Yes, it stains.



Source http://www.popsugar.com/food/Good-Fortune-Cocktail-36321545

No comments:

Post a Comment